The North East’s finalists have been announced in the 2011 Countryside Alliance Awards, with top local businesses vying for one of four regional titles and the chance of national acclaim.
The Countryside Alliance Awards, nicknamed the ‘Rural Oscars’, are now in their seventh year of celebrating the characters, skills, traditions and enterprise of the countryside through the people who work so hard to make it tick. Each finalist has received numerous nominations from adoring customers and supporters and hopes to go all the way to the Parliamentary final next March.
The 2011 North East finalists are:
Local food category finalists
Village Shop/ Post Office finalists
- Belsay Village Shop, Belsay, Northumberland, 01661 881207
- Humshaugh Village Shop, Humshaugh, Hexham, Northumberland 01434 681258 www.humshaughshop.co.uk/
- West Monkseaton Post Office, Whitley Bay, Northumberland 0191 252 0236
- Down at the Farm, Houghton le Spring, County Durham, 0191 584 1873 www.downatthefarm.co.uk
- The Doddington Dairy, North Doddington, Wooler, Northumberland 01668 283010 www.doddingtondairy.co.uk
- Warkworth Farm Shop and Tearoom, Acklington, Morpeth, Northumberland 01670 762119
Butcher category finalists
- D Petch, Butchers, Nunthorpe, Middlesbrough, 01642 722246
- R Green & Son Family Butcher, Longframlington, Morpeth, Northumberland, 01665 570 253 www.greenbutcher.co.uk
- Robinsons, Wingate, Co Durham 01429 838204 www.robinsons-wingate.co.uk